Forums > net Framework versionsSearch  Log In
AuthorMessage
L Bell

Northwest Washington State
Posted: 18 May 2015
Lately, I've noticed more and more programs being dependent on some version of Microsoft net Framework. (not any of Roadkils' programs, though!)

Hearing horror stories from actual MSoft engineers (retired) that it shouldn't be installed unless you need it, it makes me leery of adding them all.

I'm aware some dev environments use it; some of the 'Visual' programs, etc. I'm running XP on this machine.

If one has net Framework 1.1, then installs 3.5, and then 4.0, is it a complete array?.

My machine has v1.1 and 4.0, but some programs report 'needs net Framework 3.5 or higher'.

The stories from those uninstalling them and reinstalling make me nervous.

Any suggestions on how to go about this, preferably with stand alone packages?
Roadkil
South Australia
Posted: 20 Jun 2015
Unfortunatley a lot of new programs require these frameworks because it makes it easier for the developer to push out code and let the framework handle some of the functionality instead of writing that code themselves.

If you have apps that say they need 3.5 or higher but you have 4 installed it might just be a .net version detection issue in the app so putting in 3.5 should solve it!

Im not a huge fan of these .Net libraries and I dont understand why they take soooo long to install on some machines - but if you need software that relies on them your sort of stuck!
L Bell

Northwest Washington State
Posted: 27 Jun 2015

Thanks, Roadkil!

I'll try that (putting in 3.5) as it seems to be needed for a certain utility.

Will back up first of course, in the event something unexpected occurs.

Off topic: is one of your programs similar in function to the utility 'savepart', which creates partition or drive images to a single, or multiple files? (for later restoration, or migration to a new hard drive)
LB

Page: 1

You must log in to reply to messages
Please log on
User Name:
Password:
Forgotten your password? Click here